It is that time of the year to review last year’s resolution list and see how I’ve done. Referring back to last year’s post:
1. Learn to drive. Check.
2. Meet people, socialize positively. Sort of check. I have made a few really great friends this year. Nothing proactive, though. Nor romantic.
3. Lose weight. Uncheck. Bah, I haven’t even tried this one. To be transferred to the ‘To do’ carried forward list.
4. Learn to play the violin. I knew this was far fetched even while I was writing it last year. Someday, though.
5. Learn or re-learn a foreign language. Not doing very great, am I. But I have checked that the Alliance Française is on Lodhi Road. I have figured what metro station I will have to step out at. I have also checked the rates for weekend sessions. Semi check this one?
6. Learn to say ‘no’. Check. I’m happy to report that this is not as difficult anymore. I say ‘no’ all the time nowadays. At work, at the apartment, to extended family, to other jerks who intend to utilise me for their own selfish, repugnant motives.
7. Travel. Check. Not as much as I would have liked – but apart from the regular Muscat and Kolkata, I found myself in Jabalpur, Shimla, Jaipur, Mumbai, Amritsar, Wagah Border and Thanedar as well. Although 2012 already looks way too promising – I’m not complaining 😀
8. Writing. Definitely check. An exponential increase in posts this year. From a 30 in 2010 to a whopping 53, despite the crazy work schedule and lack of home Internet connectivity. I’m rather pleased with myself.
9. Cooking. Semi check. The American breakfast is now a big ‘Yes’! The khichdi is still a little sticky.
Other highlights from the year that made it such a roller coaster ride:
# Television and me became friends thanks to ‘Lie To Me’, Coke Studio Pakistan, the MasterChef series and MTV Roots
# My PADI ‘Open Water Diver’ certification is now a part of the resume
# Saw an array of celebrities and personalities at extremely close proximity: Start with Bill – Melinda Gates, Warren Buffett and Azim Premji during the visit to the capital; Shah Rukh Khan, Bernie Ecclestone, Sachin Tendulkar, Michael Schumacher, Sebastian Vettel and other Formula One veterans at the first Indian Grand Prix; Ratan Tata and Cyrus Mistry at the recently concluded Auto Expo 2012.
# After nine long years, broke it off with Nokia.
# Had tennis explained to me and got rather engrossed.
# Tried my hand at public relations on the social media platform. Received encouragement and stopped at that.
# Watched a movie alone #Win
# Witnessed the demise of my ancient iPod nano. Alas.
# Underwent various emotions on the literary front. Sobbed at the end of the Harry Potter series. Exhilaration at the newest book from Paolini.
# Met my brother after eight years. Explosion of drama at the household.
# Loved a Bollywood movie – Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. Felt inspired. Also immensely enjoyed the Pirates fourth installment and Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes : Game of Shadows
# Took listening to trash music to an all new level. My father would fancy a coronary if he were introduced to my current YouTube play lists.
# Forgot an important birthday. Almost died in shame. Also remembered and planned surprises on a lot of other birthdays – clicked quite a few happy pictures.
On the whole, 2011 was quite special to me – knowing that this time I’ve spent with a lot of very significant people is what I will cherish for a long time and there’s no feeling that can surpass that.
I believe Lao Tzu once said, “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are” – this is my resolve for this year. Not to let myself stagnate, vegetate or be dormant. And almost everything I do will be towards overcoming the inertia. Wish me luck.